On Friday January 31st, Brooklyn Legal Services Corporation A held a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony that celebrated the opening of its newest community office located at 1471 Fulton Avenue in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn with members of the staff, board of directors, elected officials, community partners and the project team. Brooklyn A has served Bed-Stuy and neighborhoods across New York City throughout its 51-year history.
The ceremony began with a welcome by Harold Green, member of Brooklyn A’s Board of Directors and President of the Board of the Directors of Cypress Hills Local Development Corporation, a long term partner and client of Brooklyn A’s Community & Economic Development Program, who highlighted Brooklyn A’s deep history of community collaboration and representation in disinvested communities.
Jessica Rose, the first woman Executive Director of Brooklyn A, welcomed the group and remarked on the needs being filled by the office:
“As displacement pressures against long-time residents, community organizations and small businesses continue to build in this community, it is critical that there are community-based service providers fighting side-by-side with our neighbors to sustain and support the community. It is exciting for us to have this new storefront space so that every day as people walk or drive down Fulton Street, they can easily see that they have a place to turn for help.”
Ms. Rose thanked the several elected officials in attendance who provide critical support for the organization and our clients including New York Senator Kevin Parker, Council Members Robert E. Cornegy and Chaim M. Deutsch and Ana Fischer, a member of Council Member Inez Barron’s staff.