Consumer & Economic Advocacy Program uses civil legal remedies, as well as non-legal advocacy to protect economic equity of low-and moderate-income families.
We prevent foreclosures and defend against predatory lending. We resolve tax issues with the IRS for low-income taxpayers. We strive to ensure that vulnerable groups have strong safeguards in place to help them build and maintain assets throughout their financial lives.
- Reduce the loss of homes to foreclosures and unfair practices, and end predatory mortgage lending.
- Ensure protections are in place to prevent abuses by banks and finance companies and stop payday lenders and tax scams.
- Litigate cases that increase protections and recover damages for consumers with low incomes.
- Financial Consumer Protections
- Fair Housing
- Homeowners’ Rights
- Taxpayers’ Rights
- Bankruptcy/debt relief
- Home foreclosure support, especially for those in danger of homelessness
- Increasing awareness about unfair sales practices
- Loan modifications
- Low-income taxpayer assistance
- Protection from predatory loan practices
Brooklyn A’s Low Income Taxpayer Clinic exists to represent and provide education and outreach to low-income taxpayers, including those who speak English as a second language (ESL). > Learn More
Pro Bono Partnerships
- Cuti & Wang LLP
- New York State Foreclosure Defense Bar