Brooklyn A preserves affordable housing for low-income families living in public, private and subsidized apartments in Brooklyn. We work to keep families in their homes, obtain the benefits needed to cover rent arrears and future rent, fight illegal overcharges, and secure appropriate repairs and essential services. Brooklyn A ensures that the families we serve enjoy the full protection of New York City’s laws and social services.
DIRECT CLIENT SERVICES
Our major priorities include:
- Eviction defense cases, including representing public and subsidized housing residents, tenants with disabilities, victims of domestic and intimate partner violence, and those with reduced access to justice because of limited English. We represent hundreds of families in housing court each year.
- Gaining and preserving access to affordable public and subsidized housing for low-income populations. Brooklyn A represents tenants in expiring use/expiring contract-subsidized housing and negotiates with landlords on tenants’ behalf.
- Representation of tenants and former owners of foreclosed properties, including assistance to pursue affordable purchasing options.
- Advocating for victims of abuse to protect housing options, including helping families relocate for safety reasons or preserving existing housing when abuse places family members at risk of eviction.
- Working with tenant associations to help them understand and challenge housing policies.
- Coordinating with social services caseworkers to help families obtain One Shot Deals and Family Eviction Prevention Supplements (FEPS) to assist with rental arrears and maintain ongoing affordability of tenants’ housing. We work to ensure that tenants will be able to stay current in their rent and preserve their housing.
We work closely with advocacy groups, community and tenant organizations. Through our partnerships, we are better able to reach low-income families who need our services, and we combine resources to maximize the impact of our advocacy efforts.
Our partners include:
- Bushwick Housing Independence Project
- Churches United for Fair Housing
- Cypress Hills Local Development Corporation (CHLDC)
- Los Sures
- North Brooklyn Development Corporation
- St. Nicks Alliance
- The office of City Council member Rafael L. Espinal